Monday, November 8, 2010

Cooking Dinner.......

I have been trying to cook dinner every night.....I was not doing it for so long.  I would get fast food or find some box of stuff in the pantry.  Not to mention all the frozen stuffs I would make.

I got a great new cook book for the crock pot and I love it.  "Busy Woman's Slow Cooker Cookbook"  I have made some things out of it and most have turned out really well.  I like being able to make it in the morning.  As strange as it sounds....my body is just too tired at 4 or 5 pm to make dinner.  It works so hard to keep itself together all day that I just want to collapse by then.  So, this is a great thing for me.  I can use the energy I have in the morning and feed my family a nice meal.

Today's meal:  Mexican Casserole
6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
1 pound lean ground beef, browned and drained
1 (10 3/4 oz) can of cream of mushroom soup
1 (103/4 oz) can of cream of chicken soup
1 (14.5 oz) can of chopped tomatoes with green chile ( I used salsa)
8 oz Velveeta  cheese, cubed
In slow cooker, place tortilla strips.  Layer beef, soup, and tomatoes over tortilla strips.  Top with cheese.  Cover.   Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours
Makes 6 to 8 servings

I am feeling better about doing things for my family.  I had gotten into a depression/rut and I think I am ready to come out the other side.  I am taking better care of my family and myself.  Things are just all around better here.  Matt and I had date night on Friday.  I loved it...makes my heart feel better.  It had been so long since we did that.  I loved just talking to him and not having to worry about anything, other than eating.  (Luigi's on Tejon is fabulous...all homemade pasta, YUMM-O)

I have also subscribe to a website called flylady.com....it is helping me overcome what I feel has been overwhelming.  I have let the house go and just not know where to start to get back to "normal."  This website is great.  It gives you a place to start and not feel like you are fighting a loosing battle.  I love it...everyday I get a little more done each day.  I get an email each day that lets me know what is on my "flight plan" for the day.  Today is a day to look up in the kitchen.  Look up and see what needs washed and dusted above the cabinets and on top of the frig.  10 mins is all you get and then it is time to move on.  There is a list of other things you need to do each day too.  I have a launch pad for the boys each morning.  Shoes, coats and backpacks are all together by the front door: need to make sure you have all you need there for the next morning.  I, also, have what is known as a hot spot.  It is a place where "things" collect.  I spend 15 mins each day going through what has collected there.  Mine is on the end of the counter in my kitchen.  Usually it is mail and things from the kids backpacks.  Funny how many things go there that we don't need to keep.  It is nice to have the space clean.  I put a few family pictures there to try to keep me from putting things there (not working so well, but I am trying).

Life is good today.....thanks be to God and all he has done for us.



PS: Update....I thought dinner was gross.  Okay, not gross, but not great either.  I think I may try this again but change a few things.

skip the cream of chicken soup
add tomato soup or better yet....

Skip cream of chicken and velveeta
go with one can of cheddar cheese soup.

not sure...we will see

1 comment:

  1. I am really liking some of the recipes from Make It Fast, Cook it Slow -- check out crockpot365.blogspot.com -- I'm on the forum.

    ReplyDelete